03 July 2016

Reader Under the Spotlight - Philippe

Today I would like to introduce you to Philippe.

I’m Philippe, 55 years old and I live in Normandy at Etretat (famous cliffs). I am a teacher during the week and I own a B&B in my big old house for the weekends and holidays. I am a painter too, so, my days are very busy that is why I need to use organisers.

1. When did you buy your first Filofax and what was it ?

I bought my first Filofax in 1992 at Harrod’s. I don’t remember its name (College I think). It was the cheapest of the range. A red vinyl one. I was very proud. Unfortunately I had to throw it out few months ago because the vinyl had disintegrated.

2. Out of the organisers you own which is your current favourite (style and size) ?

I love and use often my three favourite : the brown Dundee for its vintage look, the green Lizard and my Ostrich buttercup, all in personal size. I love the personal green Dundee. I looked for it every where but I haven't found it.

3. How many Filofax or other brands of organisers do you own ?

I currently own 19 Filofax. No other brands. I love the VdS organisers but I am faithful to Filofax , this venerable brand.
So, I have four A5 : Charleston, Balmoral, Finsbury and Cuban
One black pocket Chameleon
Fourteen personal size : Windsor, green Lizard, Buttercup Ostrich, Richmond, Dundee, Kensington, Malden, York, Finchley, Finsbury, Buckingham, Belgravia, Regency and a very old 1947 Filofax/Lefax in blue.

4. What do you use your organisers for ?

J’ai toujours trois Filofax en service : un personal qui ne me quitte pas (souvent le lizard ou l’ostrich). Il comprend mon agenda avec mon planning de réservation de chambres pour mon B&B, plein de pages de notes, et il me sert aussi de porte feuilles pour mettre mes billets, mes cartes bancaires, les papiers d’identité, voiture etc etc …

Le A5 Cuban qui me sert pour le lycée. Je travaille avec 7 classes, donc j’ai 7 sections pour mettre les notes des élèves et les cahiers de texte.

Le A5 Balmoral (in red) qui reste sur mon bureau. Ce sont tous les renseignements dont je peux avoir besoin pour l’administration de ma maison, appartements, voitures etc …
Enfin, j’utilise plusieurs autres Filofax pour stocker mes anciens agendas et des réserves de feuilles.

I always have three Filofax in use : a personal that does not leave me (often the Lizard or Ostrich).  It includes my calendar with my room booking schedule for my B & B, full of pages of notes , and it also serves as my wallet which I to put my bank notes, my credit cards, identity papers, car documents etc etc ...

The Cuban A5 which I use for school. I work with 7 classes, so I have 7 sections for student notes and text books .

The A5 Balmoral (in red) that stays on my desk. This has all the information I need for the administration of my house , apartments, cars etc ...

Finally, I use several other Filofax organisers to store my old diaries and spare inserts.

5. How many sections do you have in your organiser and what is each section used for ?

Comme un Filofax est fait pour simplifier la vie et aider à l’organisation, je ne veux pas être trop compliqué. Mon Filofax principal comprend 4 sections : l’agenda, les notes, des feuilles vierges et to do. Enfin, plusieurs pochettes transparentes pour mes papiers d’identité, papiers de voitures, driving licence, carte d’électeur etc …

As a Filofax is made to make life easier and help with the organisation , I will not be too complicated.

My main Filofax includes 4 sections : calendar, notes, blank pages and to do sheets. Finally, several transparent sleeves for my ID,  car documents , driving license, voter registration card etc ...

6. If you could design your own Filofax what would it feature ?

J’aimerai qu’il y ait un service « sur mesure ». Un peu comme chez VdS, pour choisir sa peausserie, ses couleurs, sa souplesse, afin d’avoir un Filofax vraiment personnalisé

I would love it if there was a "customised" service. Almost like at VdS, to choose the leatherwork , the colours, the flexibility in ordering to have a truly personalised Filofax.

7. What’s your favourite Filofax tip or hack ?

Je ne comprends pas vraiment cette question. Est-ce un conseil ?
Dans ce cas, je dirai d’acheter une simple perforeuse en acier et surtout pas la perforeuse en plastique (plastic punch) vendue par Filofax. C’est cher et ça ne fonctionne pas du tout.

I do not really understand this question . Is this a hint?

In this case,  I will buy a single punch steel and especially not plastic punch (punch plastic) sold for Filofax. It's expensive and it does not work at all.

8. Have you ever attended a Philofaxy meet-up ? If not, do you intend to one day ?

I have never attended a Philofaxy meet-up but I will be happy to do that.  London is not very far from Normandy but I am afraid of my poor English level. For the moment, I just enjoy reading the resume of the meet-up on Philofaxy and I am frustrated not to be able to participate.

9. What was the last movie you watched ?

« Un homme idéal » it is a french drama

10. What was the last book you read ?

« L’insoumis » (english title is : Rogue Lawyer) of the author I prefer : John Grisham

Merci Philippe I trust I have translated your French in to English correctly! 

As you know we are always looking for new people to appear in our 'Reader Under Spotlight feature, you don't have to be 'well known' or a long term user to be considered to appear in this 'spot'.

So please contact Steve philofaxy at gmail dot com today. Thank you.

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your Filofax experience, Philippe!
    I really like your collection of FFs, especially the vintage ones. I think they are the best in terms of construction and leather quality.
    I am also a teacher who has an other job and I need my FFs to keep organized and be able to switch from one job to an other without any mess.

    ☆●☆■☆●☆■☆●☆■☆●☆■☆●☆■☆●☆■☆●☆

    Merci d'avoir partager votre experience de vos Filofax avec nous, Philippe!
    J'apprécie vraiment votre collection de FF, surtout les vintages. A mon avis, ce sont les meilleurs en terme de construction et qualité du cuir.

    Etant aussi un prof qui exerce une autre profession en parallèle, j'ai besoin de mes FF pour rester organisée et sereine lorsqu'il me faut passer d'un job à l'autre sans créer de chaos.

    Merci de votre partage et au plaisir d'en lire plus sur votre experience !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great poste! vous avez beaucoup de goût dans Filofaxes, et de belles voitures!

    (Désolé pour mon mauvais français)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cher Philippe, Merci beaucoup pour l'attribution de ton Filofax expérience. And many thanks to Steve, for his kind translation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete