22 May 2016

Reader Under The Spotlight - Stuart

Today I would like to introduce you all to Stuart. 

My name is Stuart Lennon, a 46 year old aspiring writer living in Hampshire, England. I am recovering from 25 years working in money transfer and money changing. I am determined to publish my debut novel in 2016. This determination is regularly undermined by the attractions of the golf course, holidays and a good lunch. I'm trying to summon the energy for a decent mid-life crisis, but I have just settled for a fast car. I blog at stuartlennon.com

1. When did you buy your first organiser and what was it?

1994 - A Daytimer Desk size. It was almost a badge of management at the company I was working for back then. I had a Daytimer on and off until 2014. Usually Desk, but occasionally Folio, which is HUGE.

2. Out of the organisers you own which is your current favourite (Style and Size)?

Filofax A5 Ochre Malden. Such beautiful leather. I had a similar Daytimer binder a few years ago, Western Coach it was called. I love the soft, unstructured feel.

3. How many Filofax or other brands of organisers do you own?

None! I sold my business in late 2014 and soon after I got rid of all of binders and their archives. Cathartic, but stupid.

4. What do you use your organisers for?

Time Planning, and project management. In the back of the binder I keep Rhodia #8 note pads for task lists and as a jotter.

5. How many sections do you have in your organiser and what is each section used for?

Lots! Upfront I have the information pages from both Filofax and Smythson. Then come my goals and objectives for the year, split into key areas. (An idea shamelessly adapted from Amanda Fleet at PaperPensInk.) Then a diary section - week to view, which is my key planning tool. Finally is the addresses section and 'bits and pieces', notably some neon post-it arrows.

6. If you could design your own Filofax what would it feature?

Since finding Philofaxy, I have discovered that I can do exactly that - with Van der Spek for example. I am surprised at the paucity of refill options from Filofax and as a fountain pen user, the paper quality is frustrating. Smythson paper is beautiful, but there are even fewer options. I can see why so many go down the DIY route for inserts.

7. What's your favourite Filofax tip or hack?

Be flexible. There was a time that I diligently maintained the addresses and contacts section. Now, I only store the postal addresses of people to whom I actually write letters. Phone numbers and emails are best managed electronically. Filofax can work hand in hand with IT. It does not need to be an either/or question.

8. Have you ever attended a Philofaxy meet-up? if not do you intend to one day?

No. But I'm new here! Do we sit in a circle while each person begins "Hi, my name is xxxxx and I am a Filofaxolic"? As long as it's not like that, then I'm in.

9. What was the last movie you watched?

The Way with Martin Sheen. It is about the Camino del Santiago, a very long walk, which I intend to complete over the next few years.

10. What was the last book you read?

Easy. It was written by the person who introduced me to Philofaxy, "The Wrong Kind of Clouds" by Amanda Fleet. It's an excellent read and on special offer here .

Thank you Stuart.

As you know we are always looking for new people to appear in our 'Reader Under Spotlight feature, you don't have to be 'well known' or a long term user to be considered to appear in this 'spot'.

So please contact Steve philofaxy at gmail dot com today. Thank you.

1 comment:

  1. Lovely to 'meet' you, Stuart! I'm also in Hampshire :)

    ReplyDelete