22 June 2014

Reader Under The Spotlight - Christine Marie

Today I would like to introduce you to Christine Marie from the Crafty Thingamabobs blog site. 

Hi everyone.
My name is Christine Marie. I live in Norway, in the city where it always rains.

I was born here and have never wanted to live elsewhere unless it’s abroad. England is the ”home country” of my heart as I’m half English and have always felt more English than Norwegian. I had hoped that while on maternity leave we could move to England for a year, but sadly the rules say you can only live abroad for 3 months before loosing the rights to paid maternity leave so we have to stay home. Maybe one day when the kids are older and we come across some money we’ll do just that.

When my husband and I retire we will move to France and drink Mimosas in the sun all day. France is our go to holiday spot and we go every summer for two or three weeks. Oh did I mention, I’m partly French too ;)

I’m 27, married and just became a mother of 2. I have a toddler boy who loves to draw with his mother’s frixion pens and play with all the filofax goodies. A baby girl the age of a few days and many months of maternity leave ahead of me, who I plan to use to plan/draw our new-old house extension/renovation. And of course enjoy my little ones.

When I’m not working or busy being a mother I blog over at Crafty Thingamabobs where I randomly post about my filofax escapades. I also love scrapbooking, photography, interior design, British humour and playing with my son, although these days most of my time goes to my son or my daughter.

When I’m not at home being a mother I am every filofax-internett shopper’s best friend the mail lady ;)

1. When did you buy your first Filofax and what was it?

I bought my first real Filofax in 2007. A pocket Domino in black with week on two pages and everything it came with. I used it for school and work, but for some reason I stopped using it. Since then I have tried A5, personal and compact size and the personal/compact is MY size.

2. What other brands have you used or considered using?

I’ve used a lot of free planners (every year every student get a free copy full of commercials) but as long as you don’t mind the mess they’re good for plotting down your plans and appointments. And one year I bought a French, bound planner to help me learn the days in French, but it just wasn’t my kind of planner.

I want to try VanDerSpek’s planner next time I buy a new planner and get it customized exactly as I want it. Especially since no retailers in Norway even sell Filofax anymore and the buy to try thing is doing serious damage to my economy.

3. Out of the organisers you own which is your current favourite (Style and Size)?

I love personal size, as this is enough room to write down my appointments and important stuff regarding my husband and children.

I also use a compact that’s an exact copy of the calendar I have in my personal. So that when I go out with the kids and have only a tiny spot in a cramped diaper bag for my stuff, I can still have my Filofax with me.

4. How many Filofax organisers do you own?

8 that I use or switch around + the domino which is just lying there waiting for my kids to need a planner or my husband to join the ”dark side”. So in total 9.

5. What is the oldest Filofax in your collection?

Pocket Domino in black from 2007.

6. What do you use your Filofax for?

I have several Filofaxes in use for different things.
  • My main planner that is personal size and goes wherever I go. The compact that is simply a thinner copy of my personal one. In these I’ll jot down appointments, tasks needing to be done, housework and my always present lists. I’m a chronic list maker.
  • I have two personal Dominos (one for each kid) to track milestones, health checks, vaccinations, their art and other notes I would like to remember when I’m older.
  • Also my A5 is a home binder in the making, to keep track of cleaning schedules, chores, etc. 
  • And I have a compact Malden I use as a travel planner/wallet to jot down notes on our travels and a few weeks of calendar so I can keep up with important dates and bill due etc.

7. What was the feature about Filofax you like most?

Best part is I can move the content of one into another without having to rewrite everything. I love the fact that you can buy or print your inserts and just change out the inside instead of buying a new planner every year, although as a planner collector I end up buying new ones all the time anyway.

The option of decorating and adding almost anything you please into a planner is also a quality I like. That and the fact that the selection here is so small I never find what I’m looking for locally.

8. If you could design your own Filofax what would it feature?

  • Personal size. 
  • A long strap so it could be stuffed if I needed it to be. 
  • Full length pocket (no zipper) on the inside and on the back where one can stuff loose papers.
  • 25mm rings.
  • Elastic pen loops (2).
  • Slot for a notepad.
  • Pockets for credit cards, like in the Malden.
  • And available in any colour you could imagine.

9. How do you carry your Filofax?

Snuggly wrapped in a cotton scarf until I get my custom-made filofax pouch from etsy. I just got the Original in Patent Purple and afraid I’ll scratch it. Then I tuck it into my handbag or diaper bag.

10. Which Filofax in the current range do you like the most? Are you going to buy it?

I really like my Original in Patent Purple and the Dark Aqua and Navy are very tempting. The Calipso in Purple is also on my wish list.

11. What is the most you have ever spent on a Filofax? Which model?

My A5 Calipso in Bright Blue. 90 GBP+ shipping and customs tax.

12. What's your favourite Filofax tip or hack?

Still working on putting mine together just like I want it, but I love that I can make my own dividers and with a little bit of goodwill print my own inserts and pages.

13. Turning to Philofaxy, what do you like the most?

Everything!!! The community, the tips and all the good ideas you guys have. Also the diary inserts are a treasure!

14. And what do you not like about Philofaxy?

Nothing. I love it!

15. What was the last music track you downloaded or bought?

Hakuna Matata for my son (bought through iTunes).

16. George Clooney or Brad Pitt?

Can I have both?

Thank you Christine, it was a pleasure to read about how you are using your organisers and thank you for answering all our other questions!  And if anyone else reading this would like to appear on Reader Under The Spotlight, please contact philofaxy at gmail dot com

3 comments:

  1. Lovely to 'meet' you, Christine Marie :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for having me. And as to question # 10, I have already bought the navy and dark aqua original. + a yellow and fluro pink one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your description of the "perfect" Filpfax is spot on. Especially the 2 elastic pen loops and any color imaginable. Ahhh, to dream. Thanks. Maureen

    ReplyDelete