13 July 2009

Punching It Up

There are two kinds of Philofaxers in the world...those who find an accompanying hole punch indispensable and those who will never own one.

I'm of the first camp. I have 6-hole punches for both my Personal and A5 Filofaxes. I like to punch "outside" pieces of paper (sometimes with trimming) to carry with me...schedules, maps, information sheets, and so on. I always buy A5 journals with perforated pages so I can use the same paper in my Filo. One time I punched a postcard of a museum display I wanted to see!

If you print your own forms, like the ones Steve makes and offers for download in his Yahoo group, a punch is a must. (Although sometimes I print information from Word documents onto the blank leaves Filofax sells, which are of course already punched.)

The one problem I'm having: I haven't figured out how to empty the paper chads out of my A5 metal punch. Does this plastic cover just pull off somehow? I've never been able to do it.

10 comments:

  1. Yes Nan pull off the plastic cover and the bottom metal cover slides out too but do it over a waste bin!

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes - AND, not only does the plastic cover indicated pull off (I used pliers, padded the grips part with fabric, because they can be tough first few times) BUT ALSO the metal bottom plate slides out completely, again you MAY need thin-nosed pliers to grip the end and pull it out.

    'Scuse the caps but it took me years to realise that... I bought my first metal Personal punch in 2002, for crying out loud, and struggled to clean the farthest end for ages!!

    I love them, I can't believe I was recently close to either breaking, or more likely abandoning, my expensive A5 punch, just because I couldn't clean it properly.

    Happy punching! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great minds think alike! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Steve and Miss Charlie. Miss C, that's a brilliant idea about padding the pliers. I've been concerned about getting the thing open without breaking it or my hands. I'm going to give that a try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another section for the Missing Manual I think... I will write it up with photo's when I get back to UK!

    Steve....currently en France..

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have left the plastic ends and the metal slide off permanently. That way I can punch more papers at a time. I just scoop up the paper holes when I'm finished.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love how it says "Remove this end only". First time I removed it, the other end fell out, then I forgot which end was which, but it make no difference!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just wondering how many sheets you find the filofax metal punch capable of punching? I read a really bad review somewhere and have been put off buying it since, I need some reassurance before I take the plunge and spend that much money... :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. A'moi, the Filofax punch can punch up to about 5 sheets of paper I would say, but because of it's small cross section, it's quite hard to punch that many sheets in one go.

    If you are buying a punch for a Personal or Pocket size Filofax, I can recommend the Rapesco punch which we reviewed here:

    http://philofaxy.blogspot.com/2009/08/rapesco-diary-punch-66-p.html

    It's a lot bigger than the equivalent Filofax punch, but it is also limited to punching up to 8 sheets in one go. I generally only punch 4 sheets at any one time, it's also cheaper than the equivalent Filofax punch. Plus you get two sizes for the price of less than one.

    Hope that helps

    Steve

    ReplyDelete