19 May 2013

Reader Under The Spotlight - The One and Only Kent from Oz

You have seen the hands.... heard his dulcet tones.. now meet the man himself.... 

Here is a photo of me with couple of alien-looking llamas.
I’m the one on the right.
Here is a photo of me with couple of alien-looking llamas. I’m the one on the right.

I am Kent from Oz. I live in sunny Brisbane, Australia. The best place to live in the world. I am an educator and work in Middle School as a Curriculum Projects teacher for a private College. I have four children and my wife is also a teacher. I have used organizers and planners for the last 30-odd years and am currently using an A5 binder. I like anything to do with organizing and the Filofax life is my mission and passion.

I also love to teach. I have an interest in special needs children and especially designing curriculum to help teachers to accommodate kids with different abilities and challenges into the regular classroom. I believe children with special needs deserve the right to a normal and exciting education with their regular peers. I believe special needs kids have so much to offer their regular friends in a fully integrated classroom. I believe we all have challenges and gifts and when it comes down to it, kids are just kids. I gave up the chance to teach and lecture at university level so I can remain in the classroom with the children who never fail to inspire and teach me what it means to live life to the fullest. I have never looked back.

You can find me on the Philofaxy Facebook pages or in my blog Filofaxuations or follow me on Twitter or Instagram See you all in cyberspace.
Kent from OZ

1. When did you buy your first Filofax and what was it?

I was given an original black leather personal size Filofax in 1984 by my sister. Not sure what make it actually was but it was an open one with a clip closure. I really didn’t know how to use it back then and it ended up being a glorified address book for many years. The leather held up well and I finally found it in an old storage box about 2008. A bit mouldy but the rings were still great. A good clean up and it was fine again. The leather ended up a bit dry but I rejuvenated it with leather cream. I have used a series of A5 Collins Debden leather binders since 1995.

2. What other brands have you used or considered using?

I still use the Collins-Debden A5 black Leather binder. Their inserts a good but the binders are not as good as Filofax. I do like the Faber-Castell binder as well. (see Q 8).

3. Out of the organisers you own which is your current favourite (Style and Size)?

I am loving using the simplicity of the A5 black APEX, but I admire the A5 Black Malden and of course the A5 Balmoral. I also like the A5 Flex for it’s versatility and slimline features.

4. How many Filofax organisers do you own?

Well –the truthful answer is 6. But I also own 3 Franklin-Covey and 3 Collins-Debden binders as well – mostly A5 and Personal. I have a tendency to give them away don’t ask me why – it just happens. My love-language is gift-giving. I also have some really useful Franklin-Covey storage binders I got on eBay for a song. They are really handy for storing my enormous collection of dividers and inserts.

5. What is the oldest Filofax in your collection?
My original Personal is over 30 years old. I recently just received a very old Personal black leather one on eBay for a very low price. The inserts that were in it were from 1992.

6. What do you use your Filofax for?

I use it for EVERYTHING! Diary, notes, work, play, reminders, ordering, ideas, dreaming, sketches, postal things, creating, business, meetings, reminders, timetables, puzzles, iPad holder, journaling, planning, renovations and life. It is my fifth child.

7. What was the feature about Filofax you like most?

I just love the leather feel. It is so tactile and elegant. And the smell of opening a new leather Filofax from the box – heaven!  The real leather binder is essential. I think the filofaxes from the golden years were better made. Give me leather any day!

8. If you could design your own Filofax what would it feature?

I really love this one by Faber-Castell but in black leather and with 30mm rings and as long as it lies flat. I love the clip satchel on the left and the pen case on the left. It seems to be all-in-one. They are very expensive but if I ever was given one, I would call it Satchmo!



9. How do you carry your Filofax?

Always have it in my hand – it lives on my desk at home and at my desk at work. I say goodnight to it though and leave it on the desk. I have an A5 Flex on my nightstand for jottings, scribbles and ideas – that works best for me.

10. Which Filofax in the current range do you like the most? Are you going to buy it?

I am in love with the black A5 Balmoral and am looking out for one. Patience is virtue they say. And all good things come to those who wait. So, I am patiently waiting ☺.

11. What is the most you have ever spent on a Filofax? Which model?

Believe it or not, only around £29 for a . . . .hang on . . . . it’s a secret!!!!

12. What's your favourite Filofax tip or hack?

Anything from Kent from OZ. He is so brilliant. I love listening to his calming voice and his constantly moving hands. I think I have a man-crush on him! But seriously, I really like the tip by Ray Blake about printing on Post-it notes – Genius!!!

13. Turning to Philofaxy, what do you like the most?

I love Adspot and the Video and Web summaries. It makes my life easier to have it all in one place – well done to whoever does this as I am sure it is a mammoth task. I am always going back to the earlier posts – you can never learn too much from everybody else.

14. And what do you not like about Philofaxy?

To be honest, (and it is only a pet peeve) I love it all except for the brownish-beige colours of the blog template. It is a bit too drab.

15. What was the last music track you downloaded or bought?

Oh God . . . . honestly it was the Les Miserables movie soundtrack  . . . I am such a nerdified dork!!!

16. Katie Price or Kate Middleton?

Who’s Katie Price? ☺  I don't think Mrs Kent from Oz would approve...

Thank you Kent, a gentleman as always... and of course if you would like to appear on our Reader Under The Spotlight feature...
Please contact philofaxy at gmail dot com

7 comments:

  1. Wow Kent, you have a whole face!!! Love your work :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to 'meet' you Kent. Love your blog and your videos. Brisbane sure is a lovely spot - I was there on a business trip a few years back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to get to know you a little better Kent from Oz. Love your videos and organizing style. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Kent's video, I always thought he was some sort of teacher and I was right! :) p.s don't believe those queenslanders, Sydney is the place too be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm planning on exchanging one Harbour City (Wellington) for another (Sydney) as soon as I can!

      Delete
  5. Well blow me down with a feather. I'd watched some of Kent's videos, but didn't realise that he was in Brisbane. That makes at least two of us Filofax-using teachers in Brissie!

    I enjoy your videos and your poetry-style blog posts, Kent - keep up the good work. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have you retired? I haven't seen anything dated after November 2015. Surely using Filofax doesn't stop with retirement?

    ReplyDelete