02 February 2007

Public Service Announcement (Pee-ess-ay)

It has come to my attention that there may be some confusion about the pronunciation of this blog’s title. Namely, my wife told me that her internal voice pronounces it, “fuh-LAH-fuh-xee.” She said she had assumed that its pronunciation would track the syllabic emphases of “philosophy” (i.e., fuh-LAH-suh-fee). That sounds totally weird to me.

Most of you have probably never said Philofaxy out loud, but you must have adopted an internal pronunciation of it. Let me go on record as endorsing the following pronunciation: FYE-loh-FAX-ee. Or, expressed another way: Filofax-ee. Does this contradict any of your internal voices? At heart, I believe that the will of the masses should, within broad boundaries, govern. So if you disagree with me, then I will have to decide whether this is an issue that falls within the broad boundaries of majority rule, or an issue as to which I will enforce my will by invading your dreams and repeating my pronunciation over and over and over until you surrender.

(Please don’t tell me that Filofax is really pronounced “fuh-LAH-fuhx.”)

10 comments:

  1. Let me agree, O Great One, with your opinion: it shall be FYE-loh-FAX-ee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say "FYE-loh-FAX-ee," but then I say "CON-tro-ver-sey" instead of "con-TROV-er-sey."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yerrp Filofax-ee is how i pronounce it - and I do say it out loud because I promote this website unashamedly... Filo obsessive that I am...


    Miss Anon. E. Mous

    ReplyDelete
  4. I pronounce it exactly the way you have intended it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Does anybody know what the "correct" way is to use those Filofax internet filler sheets? I'm not sure as to what goes on the @ and info line.

    ReplyDelete
  6. potato po tah to , tomato, to mah to just don't call the whole thing off!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmmmm not sure about those (Filofax internet filler sheets? ) sorry...

    But what about some more articles...? Nan where are you?

    NAN & PHILOFAX - How does one submit a guest blog?

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's a pitty you don't blog anymore...
    Now both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd love to get some submissions from potential guest bloggers. If you're interested, just email your article to me: nanbarber at gmail.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Guest blogger? Me? On Philofaxy?

    Cheap excuse: English isn't my motherstongue.
    :-))

    ReplyDelete